Sous Chef (full time)
Spook are a rapidly growing events catering company. We cater for the world’s most prominent global brands and individuals and exist to inspire the discovery of natural, seasonal food through our events and experiences. Our events and locations embrace nature and are wild, in every sense of the term – we support local producers and British farmers who have sustainability and biodiversity at the forefront of their processes.
We cater for events in London, UK and abroad.
We are looking for a Sous Chef to join the team:
- A passionate and proactive individual who wants to join a fast growing company, fun and personable company.
- A valuable support for our head chef
- Forward thinking individual with constant ideas and development
- Hard worker and good communicator
You will be responsible for the running of the kitchen under the head chef, including preparation of food, health and safety and ensure the highest level of quality and consistency at all times. You will be in charge of ordering, development, specific events, training freelance chefs in line with values and standards. As the Sous Chef you will be expected to be the driving force behind the food and kitchen and demonstrate exceptional culinary skill, an organised and efficient way of working and the ability to lead a team. It is a really exciting position for someone to join a fast growing company, be creative, organised and involved.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To schedule and coordinate work with the assistance and approval of the Head Chef to ensure that food preparation is correct, organised, on budget and of the highest quality.
- Produce prep lists, place orders and schedule deliveries based on confirmed events
- To ensure a high standard of hygiene, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout the kitchen at all times in line with Spook HACCP standards
- To evaluate all food products to ensure that company quality standards are consistently maintained
- To constantly be developing seasonal dishes for our events and other projects.
- To create standard recipes containing techniques, allergens and instructions related to each individual dish.
- To create, implement and manage procedures to minimise waste
- Supervise the cooking and preparation of food for events
- Be proactive in coming up with ideas to help further the brand and company.
- Take on responsibility for the running of Riley’s concept or similar (in our new unit)
- To maintain Spook policies and procedures to ensure the kitchen is productive and efficient
- Ensure HACCP documentation is kept up to date and applied in all areas of kitchen
- Ensure that all kitchen related administration is kept organised and up to date
- Work to deadlines set, delegating to team members to ensure that production is in line with deadlines
- Assist in managing a stock control system and communicate current stock levels to sales team if necessary and manage the stock rotation system
- Work alongside Sales and Events team to produce bespoke menus for clients, ensuring that they are costed appropriately and tried and tested
- Be available for client tastings, providing notes from the kitchen on dishes prepared, presentation and bespoke requirements
- Be on-site at events when required
- Liaise with Events Team and Facilities Manager on deliveries and schedules for event pack up and distribution
- Take part in departmental meetings and actively participate in interdepartmental meetings when required to develop, share and improve operational systems and delivery
- Ensure that required GP (food and labour) is being reached on all events
- Ensure that the kitchen is working proactively, communicating with the events team on upcoming events, using tool provided (shared calendar) to ensure the kitchen is prepared for upcoming events
- Ensure that staff are briefed on preparation and events and handovers are efficient and complete
- Check in all orders and flag any mistakes to suppliers and accounts
- To curate dishes in line with company values and be constantly creating and developing.
- Work alongside the sales and events team to produce bespoke menus for clients ensuring that they are costed and tested appropriately